Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Gluten Free-zer Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff


Meal #1 of our Gluten Free-zer Crock Pot Meal Extravaganza!

BEEF STROGANOFF


Ingredients

  • 2 pounds beef chuck, trimmed of excess fat and cut into thin slices (about 1/2 inch thick and 3 inches long)
  • 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
  • 1 pound white mushrooms, trimmed and halved (or quartered, if large)
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard - (it calls for 2T but I only used one)
  • Cooked gluten free noodles for serving - I used Tinkyada Noodles
  • Chopped fresh dill, for garnish (optional)

Directions

  1. In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, toss beef, onion, and mushrooms with 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt and teaspoon pepper. Cover, and cook on low until meat is tender, about 8 hours (or on high for 6 hours).
  2. In a 2-cup glass measuring cup, whisk cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water. Ladle 1 cup cooking liquid into measuring cup or use 1 cup of beef broth; whisk to combine. Pour into a small saucepan, and bring to a boil; cook until thickened, about 1 minute. With slow cooker turned off, stir in cornstarch mixture, then sour cream and mustard. Serve beef over noodles; sprinkle with dill, if desired.
Here's all I did...
I woke pulled the bag from the freezer and placed it into my crockpot.
I am used to cooking in my crockpot by adding a little water and based on the reviews on this recipe I did just that and added 1 cup of water, set the crock pot for 8 hours, covered and walked away.

A few hours later...
I couldn't believe the wonderful aromas that were greeting me even in our garage!!
The whole house smelled yummy.

When I popped the lid off and took a gander this is what I had.

Man it smelled good, fell apart it was so tender and when I sampled a taste it was really tasty too!
{Do make sure you season your meat the way you like so you get a very flavorful meat once cooked}

Note: Do not cook over 8 hours because what juices you have will evaporate. If this happens no worries just add a cup of beef broth to your corn starch mixture and follow the recipes directions.

All in All ...
We really loved this recipe. All though a lot of reviewers on the original recipe said the meat was bland I made sure to season mine well with salt and pepper prior to cooking and it tasted wonderful!
They also commented that it was too mustardy. Is that a word?? So I cut mine back to one tablespoon and tasted the sour cream mixture before adding it to the meat.

If you would like to check out the original Martha Stewart recipe click here.

Here's to saving time and eating well!

Do you have a favorite CrockPot recipe??

No comments:

Post a Comment