Saturday, August 18, 2012

Homemade Gluten Free Granola


I love granola. 
And I really love it in my yogurt and it always makes me a little sad when I see it somewhere and know I can't just pick one up.

So I decided to make my own by modifying a recipe I found and wow did it turn out great!
This may turn out to be a great Christmas gift to give family, friends and neighbors. 
Trust me when it gets close to the Christmas Holidays I will be making some of this
and when I do I'll be hoping someone stops by because it fills your home with such a lovely warm cinnamon smell.

You know the nuts they roast and coat with a cinnamon sugar and sell at the mall, farmers markets and such? Well that smell is exactly what your home will smell like. mmmm

And even though this granola has a sweet smell while its cooking it's not at all overly sweet.
I would describe it as delicately kissed by sweet maple and cinnamon.
:)

It's super simple and so easy to put together and gosh it's also pretty darn good for you too!
Here is what you'll need.


3 Cups of Gluten Free Oatmeal (Bob's Red Mill)
1 Cup Dried Fruit (We chose Cranberries)
1/4 Cup Chia Seeds
1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds
1/2 Cup Walnuts
1/2 Cup Almonds
1/2 t Cinnamon
1/2 t Sea Salt
1/3 Cup Maple Syrup
1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
1 t Vanilla Extract

Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.


Warm the maple syrup and coconut oil on the stove until warm and both combine with one another.
Pour warm syrup mixture over the dry ingredients and add vanilla.
Stir until well mixed and coated.

Place into a 9 x 13 jelly roll pan and bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes.
Remove, stir and place back into oven for an additional 15 minutes.



Allow to cool completely and then package!


 Once you have your granola made you can pair it with all kinds of yummy things.
Like my layered to-go yogurt above.
I spooned a heaping teaspoon of honey in the bottom. Seriously, that is really all I put in the jar even though it looks like a lot more. Then scooped about 1/2 cup of Organic French Vanilla Yogurt on top of that then topped it with two and a half teaspoons of granola.
You can tighten the lid on it and toss it into your bag and have breakfast when you get to work.
Or make ahead of time and keep in the fridge for quick grab-n-go breakfasts and snacks.
{minus the granola you don't want it to get soggy :0}

These cans hold 8 ounces and make the perfect on the go containers!

I have to give credit to Green Plate Rule where I found this lovely granola recipe. :) 
So head on over to her site and take a look around she has tons of healthy recipe ideas.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment