Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Broccoli Cornbread

 This recipe is a classic in my family. We love it. So much in fact that when it comes out of the oven
we begin devouring it.

Chunk by Chunk

So when I was diagnosed and was told Gluten had to be removed from my diet one of the dishes I wondered if I would ever be able to eat again was my
Mom's Broccoli Cornbread.

Oh yum.
It's just so darn delicious.
I mean, I have even turned people who won't touch cornbread
onto this dish!
My husband was the first.
Then I got his Mom and Dad too!

Watch out you might be next!
{I snicker}

So I knew I had to find a way to make this again. So here I was on another mission.
And as it turns out, this mission wasn't impossible or even hard for that matter.

Let's take a look...

So I did a tad bit of research and found Bob's Red Mill Cornbread Mix and after talking to my cousin was told it's very similar to Jiffy Cornbread Mix, which is an ingredient in my Mom's version of Broccoli Cornbread.

I noticed that Jiffy Cornbread Mix comes in an 8.5 oz box. 
So I knew I would need to use that much plus my Mom's recipe calls for an additional 3/4 cup of regular cornmeal per the recipe.
But I didn't have that so I made modifications.
I've rewritten the recipe below so you don't have to think about it. :)

so....
I decided after opening the cornmeal mix that I needed to add some sugar to it because Jiffy is rather sweet and this really didn't have the same sweetness to it. 
So I added 2 Tablespoons of sugar the get the sweet Jiffy taste.

So here is what you will need
1 Box of Broccoli
12 oz Cottage Cheese - I used Breakstones
1 Small Onion - Finely Chopped
3 Large Eggs
1/2 Stick of Butter
1-3/4 cups of Bob's Cornbread Mix
2 Tablespoons Sugar
9x13 pan

Preparing Your Pan
Put butter in the pan and place in the oven while it preheats to 425.
{You will put your batter into this once the butter is melted and crackling.}

Mixing the Cornbread Mix
Thaw the broccoli and drain place in bowl. Add cottage cheese, 3 eggs, minced onion, cornbread mix and sugar. Stir by hand until well incorporated. 
The mixture will be thick.
So don't think you've done something wrong, you're right on track!

See below how thick my mixture was.

Spread into pan and bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.

Spread it out in the pan.





When you pull it from the oven it should be a nice golden brown.

Cut, serve and enjoy!

My husband doesn't like cornbread but he has always loved this recipe.
He tasted this modified recipe and gave it a big thumbs up!

I'm so happy over how this turned out.
_________________________________________________________

This recipe is for my Mom.
Mommy
I
 YOU!


5 comments:

  1. It looks delicious...can't wait to make it! Wow, how awesome are you, you have made this so simple to understand. Thanks for doing all the homework, now we can just enjoy! Your grrrrreat!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe Thanks Tracy! Im glad you think it's simple to understand that's what I was trying for. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe Thanks Tracy! Im glad you think it's simple to understand that's what I was trying for. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen a box of broccoli. What is the weight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the exact weight but my Mom always used the small frozen boxes of broccoli. Hope this helps. :)

      Delete